Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Rallies get Rough

In recent Wisconsin GOP rallies Obama has been taking a heated pounding from the rally-ers to the extent of what I would call unreasonable.

KDKA.com reports, “Some in the audience are making it personal, against the Democrat. Shouts of “traitor,” “terrorist,” “treason,” “liar,” and even “off with his head” have rung from the crowd at McCain and Sarah Palin rallies, and gone unchallenged by them.” In another rally a woman stands up and proclaims, “I don't trust Obama,” a woman said. “I have read about him. He’s an Arab.” Admittedly, McCain is defending Obama’s character by responding that Obama is a decent person and a person you don’t have to be afraid of being President of the US. At the same time Palin (and McCain) are accusing Obama of “palling” around with terrorists because of his very lose association with Ayers – a 1960’s radical.

I must admit that I am surprised with the vehemence of rally-goers who call out such comments as these. I’m not sure where the names of traitor or treason come from. When we look at Obama’s record as Chicago social worker and Illinois senator we see that he has done great works for the needy. I would say that Obama is more liberal than I am and certainly I don’t agree with everything he is about. However, I do not agree with everything about McCain either. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could take the best attributes of both candidates, blend them together and have the best possible leader of our country?

I’ve often thought that in our present country’s situation we need to have two nation’s leaders – one who focuses on the international and one who focuses one the local. I’m sure this thought is rife with problems of its own. That is another thought for another blog.

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on the words, emotions, or comments being tossed around in regards to Obama. Do you think they are warranted? Where do you think a Christian should stand in regards to these kinds of comments? Condemn them? Condone them? Offer alternatives? Forgive them? Ignore them?

No comments: