Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Monday, March 9, 2009

In His Steps - Part I

Every now and then we come across a book that leaves an impression upon us. Perhaps it is one of those books designated as “the next great American novel”. The book might resonate with our lives, speak to our heart, call us to something better or simply touch us in a very special way and remind us to reflect on our lives. Certainly the Bible falls into that category, but at the moment I’m thinking more specifically of a book that was written much later.

Several years ago this special book landed in my lap and after reading it I was struck by the simplicity and depth of its message. I recently plucked this novel off my bookshelf and after re-reading it was, once again, moved by its words.

The book itself was written by a pastor initially as a series of sermons and then published in 1896. It is a novel that is still widely read throughout our world today. It is entitled, In His Steps. There is a constant theme throughout the book in which the characters ask themselves, ‘how would Jesus respond to this given situation?’ Within the last decade or two this book has prompted an acronym that many of us have seen on bracelets, necklaces and even on letterhead: WWJD.

Do you remember those letters and what they mean? What Would Jesus Do?

The preacher/author of this book was Charles M. Sheldon. The whole premise of this book is the transforming power of Christ in our lives. It seems appropriate, with Easter on its way, to talk about this very subject. Therefore, I would like to share a little bit of this book with you. Perhaps you will be prompted to pick up a copy of this book. I can promise you, you will not be disappointed if you do!

As I mentioned earlier, Sheldon’s novel was actually written as a series of sermons. Sheldon was the pastor of a church in Topeka, Kansas and was leading a Sunday evening service. To help build up attendance at that service he began writing novels which he would read as his sermon. He had mastered the art of writing in such a way that he would leave the congregation in suspense at the end of each sermon or chapter. In order to know what happened next, the people had to return the next Sunday.

In His Steps is a simple story, but one with a strong message. It begins with a homeless, out-of-work young man stopping at the home of the Reverend Henry Maxwell one Friday evening seeking help. The pastor is kind, but hurried with the young man.

In fact as the young man is asking for help – looking for work, Maxwell responds:
It would be of no use. You will have to excuse me. I am very busy this morning. I hope you will find something. Sorry I can’t give you something to do here. But I keep
only a horse and a cow and do the work myself.”
The Reverend Henry Maxwell closed the door and heard the man walk down the steps.

That Sunday morning the service at Maxwell’s church focused on a theme much like the scripture lesson from the Gospel of Mark 8:34-38 in which Jesus, anticipating his arrest, gives to his disciples, and those who seek to be followers of Christ, a challenge. Jesus tells them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”

With all of our talk of Christianity it comes down to this: will we follow Jesus Christ; will we take up the cross at his call.

This is the mood of the church service that morning at the mythical First Church of Raymond. The church soloist has sung, Where He Leads Me. The sermon is strong and polished. When the message is done, the young man who came to Maxwell’s door only days before comes to the front of the sanctuary.

He begins by saying, “I’m not drunk and I’m not crazy, and I am perfectly harmless”. He says to the congregation, “I’m not an ordinary tramp, though I don’t know of any teaching of Jesus that makes one kind of a tramp less worth saving than another.” He goes on to tell that he was a printer who had lost his job about ten months ago. Since his wife’s death, he had been tramping the country side looking for work, without success.

He has tramped this city for three days trying to find a job, and in all that time has not had a kind word of sympathy or comfort except from the minister who said he was sorry for him and hoped he would find a job somewhere. He went on to say, “It seems to me there’s an awful lot of trouble in the world that somehow wouldn’t exist if all the people who sing such songs went and lived them out. I suppose I don’t understand. But what would Jesus do?” Then the young man slumps over and dies only a few days later in the home of Rev. Henry Maxwell. This is the setting that moves Maxwell to deal with the man’s question, “What would Jesus do?

There are many aspects of our lives we can apply this question. In fact, there are probably no aspects of our life we could not apply it to. I wonder how many of us today can relate to the young man of the story who is looking for work? Have you been there? Are you there now?

Join with me over the next weeks as I continue to explore this book and what it means to us today. Join with me as we ask ourselves the questions, what Jesus would do if he were in this time of economic hardship? What Jesus would do with religion today? What would Jesus do with business, with community life, or with wealth?

Until next time,
Reverend Patrick Schultz

No comments: