Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Friday, August 27, 2010

Excellent!


Last night as I drove home, pulling into my driveway, I saw a man walking his dog down our street. Seeing him brought back memories to me. I stopped at the head of my drive way and got out of the car - retrieving the empty garbage cans on the corner of my front lawn. As the man came abreast of my house I said to him - "a beautiful night for a walk". He looked at me and said, "Excellent night. Thank you, sir." His emphasis was on the word excellent. Here's what caught my attention with him.


His hair was cut short in what is known as a high-and-tight; meaning he was shaved up the sides and the very top was a short, buzz cut. He had on a Marine Corp t-shirt and shorts. He was fit and walking briskly and looked to be about 10 years younger than I. On the calf of his leg was a Marine Corp emblem tatoo. He was a Marine and rightfully so, proud of it.


I too was in the Marines, many - many years ago. And often times seeing a fellow Marine brings the memories of those days to the surface. His emphatic response, "Excellent" reminded me of how Marines exemplify excellence and exhuberance in all they do. A mumbled response, a hanging head, a lackadaisical, "yeah" is the response I've come to expect in most cases when I say something to a passerby. Occasionally I will receive something a bit more spirited. However, rarely do I get the - Excellent! response.


I'm not surprized this man responded so. It's easy to see that he takes great pride in being a Marine. He takes pride in what the Marines stand for - integrity, honesty, honor, and yes - pride ... and is willing to share that with those around him.


I was blessed by his single word in a way that has stayed with me even into the next day. It is a reminder to me that when I respond to someone I have the opportunity to bless them with my own form of exhurberant "excellent" with the intent of lifting spirits and bringing a smile to the face. Or I can mumble and hang my head and respond lackadaisically. I choose the former.


From one Marine to another, from a Marine to all those reading this post, from a pastor who strives to bless those around him - Have an Excellent! day and may God bless you always.


Pastor Patrick

No comments: