Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Building Bridges Between our Faiths

Our world today, in some ways, is very different than it was only a generation or two ago. When I was young and growing up there was not a great diversity of faiths or religions surrounding me – I did not grow up with a mosque in town, a Muslim temple or Jewish synagogue; we did not have practicing Buddhists in my school – at least not that I knew of. I did not grow up knowing the difference between a Buddhist and Hindu, or a Buddhist and a Muslim. When I was growing up I did not see that kind of religious diversity and I would bet it was the same for you as well.

But chances are today your neighbor; your coworker or classmate, someone you know… is of another faith, a religious belief other than Christianity. The world is changing. It is becoming more diversified, more pluralistic and the mainline Christian churches: the Methodists, the Presbyterians, the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Catholics … are not the only religious voices in town any more. January 9th I will begin a new sermon series exploring the major religions in our world: Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

I am doing so because of a deep seated belief that in order for our community, our nation and our world to get along we must have a deeper understanding of one another’s beliefs – even if we do not agree with them. These major world’s religions earnestly pursue God; yet each does so in a different way. There is no question that so many different religions have historically led to conflicts and continue to be a source of distrust and animosity and even lead to open warfare in our world.

Each of our faiths represents our deepest values and beliefs. Anything that questions or opposes those values or beliefs is considered a threat. Yet the only way to a long lasting peace among our different faiths is mutual understandings based on respect and educated insight into one another’s religion. It is vital to the peace of our community, our nation, and our world that bridges are built – relationships of understanding and willingness to learn and trust between our religions, rather than erecting continual walls separating and further diversifying us.

I invite you to join with me beginning January 9th as I begin to explore the five major religions of our world while asking four main questions:

1) Why are there so many different religions?
2) How should Christians view other religions?
3) How is God at work in other religions?
4) What is the fate of those who earnestly pursue God through other religions?

For more information on this sermon study led by Reverend Patrick Schultz and the location of Milton United Methodist Church please visit our website at www.miltonumc.org or contact us at 608-868-2860.

Note: This series was originally done by Rev. Adam Hamilton in 2003 and is a reprisal of that works.

No comments: