Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sharing the Christmas Spirit


Early last week I was on the doorstep of Hedberg Library (in Janesville) before 9:00 am waiting for it to open that I might check out the book Stanley Weintraub wrote, “Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Service”.  Sunday's sermon was going to include the story of peace in the midst of this war and the singing of the well-known hymn, Silent Night by the opposing soldiers.   

As I waited, I said hello to a young man sitting on the bench by the library doors.  He said hi and then came over to introduce himself.  His name was Charles; I noticed he had some difficulty in talking, his hands and arms moved in jerky motions, but he had a nice smile and seemed pleased I had noticed him.  

After he had introduced himself he reached into his pocket and pulled out a picture of Jesus Christ.  He told me about the church he goes to – the one on the hill.  He told me of how nice it is and how nice the people are.  I mentioned briefly that we will be celebrating Jesus’ birthday soon and he replied, “I know!” (very excitedly).  It was a pleasant chat and I enjoyed getting to know him just a little bit.  As he went inside the library I heard one of the ladies behind the library desk say, “Good morning Charles.  How can I help you today?”  Obviously a regular visitor.  It’s wonderful, the opportunities we have, to get to know someone when we say hi.

No comments: