Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Be In Prayer With Me

Dear friends and church family,

This last Sunday I preached about overcoming conflict.  In my message I spoke of the Ferguson MS community, the shooting and death of Michael Brown, and the conflict the community is in.  Since that shooting on August 9th, there have been riots, looting, more shootings, tear gas and curfews, and the National Guard called in.  There is a nationwide awareness with people watching in bated-breath, wondering what happens next.

Earlier today I was at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary meeting with Dr. Gennifer Brooks, who is African-American and originally from Trinidad.  We spoke about what’s happening in Ferguson and in her perspective she spoke of a deeper issue of poverty, racism, lack of quality education and opportunities for minorities to ‘get ahead’ in their lives.  I know there are many issues to be considered with the Michael Brown shooting and death.  I know this is tinder for the fire in many communities and we may see continued rioting and additional shootings.

So, I ask you to be in prayer with me – not only for the Brown family, the Ferguson community and police force; but, for our nation as a whole.  We obviously have much to fix, especially in regards to racism, mis-treating and exploitation of minorities, abuse of power and authority.  There is no easy answer to all of this.  I recognize this.  But again, I ask you to be in prayer with me.

In Sunday morning’s message I said, “I think about what’s going on in Ferguson and I believe the churches of the community need to be involved in helping to restore peace.  I believe the churches have a greater possibility of doing this – than the police, the mayor or the governor.  The families and community and police need to be helped through their grief and find a place of mercy and forgiveness.”

Part of the answer to all of this is deeper than mercy and forgiveness.  Justice, reconciliation and equality must play a part of the solution.  But I believe this begins with mercy and forgiveness.  Church, please join with me in prayer for the healing and reconciliation of a broken community.  May we find ways to work together, shedding our bias and prejudices, and seeking equality in all people.    

Christ’s peace with you,

Patrick

No comments: