Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Monday, November 10, 2008

Place our trust in the Lord

This last year I committed, along with several of my congregation, to read the Bible through from Genesis to Revelations three chapters a day and on Sunday five chapters. This morning, in my daily reading my attention was caught by the words of Jesus Christ written in Matthew chapter six. Verses twenty-five through thirty-four share a comforting message of needing not to worry. “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear.” In this day we have much to worry about. I’ve had recent conversations with a single mom who is out of work and worried about keeping their apartment – with no income she is uncertain how she will make rent. Another woman I talked with has been out of work for almost six-months. A young girl has an aunt with terminal cancer. Another person suffers from depression. A husband and wife are having marital problems. The parents of teenagers are pulling their hair out over the dangerous antics of the teens. There is enough worry and concern to go around, of that I have no doubt.

How then, do these words from Jesus Christ bring us comfort? Where do we find ease from these problems we face each day? Verse thirty-three tells us, “But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Putting Christ and the kingdom of God first allows us to focus on what is really important in our lives. Our regular devotion, prayer, fasting and serving permits us clearer minds on what is to be valued and helps us to make wiser decisions. Our decisions and life-style choices impact what happens on a day to day basis.

In my pre-marital counseling with young couples I always bring attention to how the couples will move forward in their relationship. Who will they place first, each other or God? If we place God first then the troubles we face will be more manageable and more easily overcome. We no longer rely on the other person to be our all, but we rely on God to be our all.

I think this is, in part, what Christ is telling us through the writings of Matthew. We are to put God first in everything we do. That is where our reliance is to be. Not on the secular powers or authorities or on one another. Indeed we do rely on one another for some things, as God intends. However, ultimately our reliance must be on God. This will bring us a peace of mind, soul and assurance that we are in the good hands of our Creator.

So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.”

No comments: