Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Let Our Hearts Be Broken

As president of the Greater Milton Ministry Association I will be meeting with the local pastors and district school superintendent in just a few days. I'll lead the time of prayer and open the discussion with a focus on the economic situation and how it affects the families in our communities. Let me share with you the devotion and prayer I have written for this meeting. I believe with my whole heart that it speaks to all of us.

Devotion for Dec 17th

My prayer this morning is going to be a simple one, yet I believe it has far reaching implications. My prayer is this: God, break my heart for the things that break yours.

This morning as we gather together we are going to discuss our economic situation and how this affects the families in our community. Many of us see the adverse affects of our economical downturn in our churches as well as our school systems. While each of us has, in our own ways, contributed to this situation of excessive debt it is time for us to be leaders not only in our churches but in our community by helping to contribute to the solution. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure how we are going to do that, but my faith in God tells me that together – with one another and with God leading the way – we can find a way.

I have talked with numerous people, families and individuals, who have lost their jobs, who are struggling to put food on their tables, who are being evicted from their homes because they are unable to pay rent, who are unable to get their medical prescriptions filled. There is a trickle down effect of the GM plant closing, other companies laying off or eliminating shifts, and of soaring prices. Thankfully the gas prices have come down a bit – and this has helped.

The biblical mandate given to us as followers of Jesus leaves us no option other than to keep the broken and the poor at the center of our priorities. “Blessed are those who have regard for the weak; the Lord delivers them in times of trouble.” (Proverbs 41:1). May we keep this in mind as we meet today and as we go forth from this table and back into our own churches and micro-communities, let us pray that God will continue to move us to lead in a way that helps bring hope to the hopeless and help to the helpless.

Let us pray: Gracious God, find it in our hearts today that we may come together as Christian leaders to find ways to bring relief and ease to those who are hurting. May our hearts be broken by the very things that break your heart. Amen.

No comments: