Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Justice over Compassion?

There has been a recent rash of criticism in the news towards Scotland for their release of terrorist al Megrahi. This terrorist was responsible for killing 270 people in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. He was holding a lifetime prison sentence for this attrocious act of murder, but was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. He has a very short time to live.

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill, has stated that the justice system demands that judgement be imposed, but compassion be available and that mercy be shown.

The US has voiced in with this comment by FBI Director Robert Mueller who headed the investigation and indictment of Megrahi as an assistant attorney general in 1991. He comments, "You apparently made this decision without regard to the views of your partners in the investigation and prosecution of those responsible for the Lockerbie tragedy. ... You have given the family members of those who died continued grief and frustration. ... Where, I ask, is the justice?".

I believe that act of terrorism - any act of terrorism - should be roundly, justly, decisively and quickly dealt with. I condemn any act of terrorism. Having said that, I believe that mercy can and should be a part of our own actions towards one another. Christ teaches forgiveness and as a model forgives the very ones who put him on the cross to die.

I am in agreement with Scotland on this one. Letting Megrahi return home for his last days is an act of compassion and humanity. However, I do believe the fanfare reception he received was almost as deplorable as the original act of terrorism. Letting Megrahi return quietly, without fanfare or attention, to spend his last days with his family would be an act of compassion. Celebrating his release in a way that looks like he is being rewarded is wrong, and a mockery of the families who lost loved ones in the bombing.

No comments: