Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Ghosts...

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am doing a series utilizing the framework of a classic story, the Christmas Carol, to undergird the scriptural message of Advent. Dickens', A Christmas Carol, helps to put into perspective how our lives are shaped by "Christmas Past" to "Christmas Present" and for the "Christmas Future".

This evening I was completing a funeral sermon for tomorrow. The service is for a lady I met last year when I did her son's funeral. Her son was 47 and born with Downs Syndrome. Both mother and son thoroughly enjoyed Christmas and I wonder how the challenges of raising a son with Down's helped shape her? She had 12 children altogether and their coming home for the holiday's was a high point in her daily life. She loved having everyone together - children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, spouses... So - some of my sermon for her funeral is centered around Christmas and the true meaning of Christmas.

Gathering family together at Christmas (or anytime really) is important, but not everyone can do that. What about family that serves in the military and is across seas, or lives out of state and can't travel, or .... Presents at Christmas time is a wonderful way to show one another we love each other. Yet, many families I know are living on the edge of poverty because of our economy. Not everyone can afford Christmas gifts. Wonderfully cooked ham or turkey meals with all the fixings - great, but again not everyone can do this (for a variety of reasons).

So... when it gets right down to it the true meaning of Christmas is Jesus Christ. Christ is the one we should celebrate at Christmas time. All the rest - a trimmed out tree, multi-hued gifts wrapped under the tree, a table ladened with good fixin's, even family members gathered together are wonderful and should be celebrated - but is icing on the cake, and not the cake itself. [hmmmm ... sacrilegious to compare Jesus to cake? My seminary professor's might say so]

What we need to celebrate is Christ. We can do so through reading the Christmas story - the birth of Christ - in scripture together. We can sing some of the hymns telling of the coming of Christ and the promise fulfilled through his birth. We can attend worship service together. We can even offer to help at worship service on Christmas eve. There are many ways to celebrate the birth of Christ. Let us remember the real reason we gather December 24-25th. Jesus Christ and the salvation offered through his birth, life, ministry and mission, death and resurrection. But... it begins with his birth! Let's celebrate!

peace out friends,
Patrick

No comments: