Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Friday, December 3, 2010

It's the Little Things...


Mother Teresa has often been quoted for saying that God doesn't desire us to do great things, but to do little things with great love. How true this is. For the third year in a row I have held my annual Chicago Street Milton Food Pantry Drive and have again met great success with it. Let me preface this all by saying - I am not writing this article to say hey! look at me and what I'm doing! But rather I want to show that the little things we do can make a significant change in someone's life. It's the little things we do with great love that are important.


Each year the day after Thanksgiving I go around our block (the Chicago Street Block) and place a letter attached to a grocery bag (I get bags donated directly from Piggly Wiggly) at each home. Now, each year I've expanded the houses I include to neighboring streets, so technically I'm going beyond the Chicago Street block, but nevertheless...


The letter invites the household to fill the bag with non-perishable items, canned foods, toiletries... all which will be donated and delivered to our Milton Food Pantry. I try to be as unobtrusive and un-impossing as possible. So, I drop the letter and bag off in the evening by placing it on the household door step. In the letter I indicate my pickup date and time (usually a week later and between 8:00am-9:00am). The family can place the products on the doorsteps and never see me. Thus, I try to respect their privacy and not impose upon the people by having them answer the door or "have to" talk to me.


This year I've collected 21 bags of food items, canned goods, toiletries, and some treats for our Food Pantry. Over the course of three years I believe we collected around 60-80 bags of items. After each drive I deliver a handwritten thank you note to the home for their generosity.


In these difficult economic times and especially over the holidays, every little bit we can do helps a family in need. Perhaps this posting might spark your own idea of where you can do a little bit of something with a great deal of love.


God bless you all and may you be kept safe during this Holy Day season.


Peace out,


Patrick

No comments: