Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The End of a Terroist Leader

The news of Osama bin Laden’s death, perhaps much like the news of 911, is that which will leave many saying – I know exactly where I was when… For me, I was laying on the couch watching TV when my wife leaned around the computer screen and said to me, bin Laden is dead. Since hearing the news I have listened to commentary from CNN correspondents, congressmen and senators, and of course President Obama, as well as comments posted on Facebook. The responses range from elation to still concerned. Dr. Drew indicated the head of the snake has been cut off, while Senator Kerry stated the threat is still not gone.

From a pastoral perspective, and as one who served in the Marine Corp many years ago, I am relieved that a significant leader of al-Qaeda has been removed and that for many families and individuals in the United States (and throughout the world) who suffered through 911 and other al-Qaeda led attacks, there is a perhaps a sense of closure and relief.

Lives were devastated and changed forever following the horrors of 911. Many have never recovered from the loss of friends and family and continue to struggle today. Many clergy, churches, denominations… as well as other spiritual and Christian organizations have expended great resources (time, energy, counseling, finances…) to help families and individuals find a way to live their lives in spite of their losses. There are many that still feel anger and grief over the loss of so many innocent lives – as I still do.

I am angered every time I hear of innocent lives being taken (not lost, not given, not ending – but taken!) through the cowardly acts of terrorism. Taking the life of another is never condoned and while there may be circumstances where it is justified – such as self-defense, or acts of war – I will never believe that God intends us to act in such a way towards one another. I know our own Christian heritage is rife with acts of equally abhorrent behavior such as the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition or even hate crimes against homosexuals or people of other ethnicities that result in degrading the humanity of our sisters and brothers; however I cannot believe that is God’s will, but rather is misguided egotism.

While I understand there is no magic wand to wave that will eliminate the acts of hatred, cruelty and antagonism we can harbor against one another; while I understand that much of what is done against humanity in the name of God is actually in self-interest; and while I understand that humanity is a flawed creature, I continue to place hope in the activity of Jesus Christ in our lives.

bin Laden sowed discord, hatred, death and division in the name of God. I will say that I don’t believe his God is my God. Or perhaps another way to say this is, we don’t know the same God. The God I know does not command anyone to commit wholesale murder and destruction in his name. Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi recently said:

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred,”

And therein lies the secret. We must understand our responsibility before God. God doesn’t call us to murder those who disagree with us. God doesn’t even call us to make fun of, harass, embarrass, pick-on… those who disagree with us. God calls us to come to know one another, to forgive one another, to live side-by-side with those who are different from us, and to perpetuate peace.

I am not sorry Osama bin Laden is gone. I believe our world is a safer place without him at the helm of al-Qaeda. However, I do not rejoice in the death of anyone, not even an enemy. As MLK Jr. would say, returning hate for hate multiplies hate. It adds a deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. I turn to the light of Jesus Christ and ask that Christ be with those of our military, my Marine Corp, and the lives of those who have been impacted by acts of terrorism. May God continue to bless us and watch over us and turn us to a better way of living together.

Peace to all,

Pastor Patrick Schultz

No comments: