Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Sense of Community


Earlier this week I stopped by the Milton Family Restaurant for a late breakfast. As I sat in my booth, reading one of my books and eating a wonderful omelet, I listened to the chatter and laughter around me. I enjoy so very much listening to people in fellowship. Friends reuniting, family members gathering, people talking and sharing. As I came into the restaurant I walked by a table without really looking – until a young voice said to me, “Hello pastor!” I turned and there was my young friend Jacob eating with two of his buddies. We visited for a moment or two and then I went to sit down.

In some ways I feel like Norm of the old TV show Cheers, when I enter our local restaurant. I guess we all want to go to a place where everyone knows our name. The Apostle Paul reminds us in his letter to the Romans, “Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (15:7).

It is important to feel like we belong. I'm working towards the finish of a sermon series entitled, "Men of the Bible; Women of the Bible" and the last two sermons (focusing on women of the Bible) the characters I talked and taught about were outcasts, unwanted, ostracized by the community. How terribly lonely we can feel when we aren't wanted. Have you ever felt that way?

Not everyone finds that sense of belonging in the church. I wish they did - truly I do. I'm very glad to be a part of a church where we do our best to make people feel wanted, like they belong. I'm sure we are not one hundred percent successful with this. But I really believe we try.

Where do you go to feel like you belong? Home? The bar? The restaurant? Church?

Bless you my friends. I’ll see you on Sunday. Let us all welcome one another by name and enjoy our time of fellowship and worship.

No comments: