Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Act of Giving


On almost any given day you would find some kind of trinket: a bauble, a stone, a feather, a glass bead... in my pocket, on my desk at home or the church office, in my bedroom, or in my car. These are items of little monetary value, but of great sentimental value. They are something my four year old daughter, Gracie has given to me. So often she will come up and hand me something to keep. It is something to 'make me happy' or to 'think of her' she tells me. I revel in the seriousness and excitement she has each time she gives me a 'treasure'.

About a six-eight weeks ago I went on our mission trip to South Dakota. On the day I left, Gracie came to me and gave me a miniature pillow (from her doll house) and a polished stone. These were to remember her. I carried them in my pocket each day and often took them out to hold in my hand.

Two weeks ago I was at the church office on Monday afternoon. It was quiet; everyone else had gone home. I heard a noise out in the hallway and went to see. Two young girls were walking in - chattering and giggling a bit to themselves. I greeted them, introduced myself and asked how I could help. The older girl - 9-years old - said they had just had a lemonade sale today. The younger girl - about 8 years old - said they had sold $12.00 worth of lemonade. They held out an envelope and with big smiles said, 'We want to give $6.00 to the church.' Neither of the girls are church members. Both were so excited to give half of their earnings to the church! I thanked them and told them how wonderful this was. They left as they had come - chattering and giggling. What a wonderful and unexpected gift! The $6.00 went to our missionary fund for Paul Webster in Zambia. Just that Sunday in fact, we were having our monthly noisy can collection for Paul.

Gracie's and the two girls generous giving often reminds me of how we are called to give to God. We are to give with a glad heart - with the heart of child. We are to come to him with joy and laughter and generosity - giving to him, that which is his already. Wouldn't it be wonderful if each one of us gave so gladly and selflessly that we had no other motive or intent other than sharing our joy with God? When we come to the altar in worship of God, let's give of ourselves so completely and with great love. Let us give of our offerings, our tithes, our spiritual gifts, our time and talents. Let us give with a smile on our face. In doing so, we bring a smile to God's face.




No comments: