Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanks Giving!


This last week I was privileged to participate in the GIFTS Men’s homeless shelter. We were at the Emmanuel Free Methodist church and on Tuesday around 6:00-6:30 pm I checked in for overnight duty.

I knew several of the people of Emmanuel, who were there helping, and so made some reconnections with them – getting caught up on our respective ministries and daily life. I met two young men, identical twins and juniors in high school, who were the sons of Emmanuel’s program coordinator. And I spent some time visiting and talking with the men of the shelter.

I always experience a range of emotions as I hear their stories: wonder, discomfort, anger (at their situations), a sense of helplessness (I’d like to make it all better with one wave of my hand), and a sense of sorrow not only for their situation but for all who suffer needlessly.

One man I spoke with had been part of the homeless shelter for three years. He now has his own home and a job and volunteers his time with the GIFTS program. He proved a tremendous help when I had questions – he knew everything and everyone. Another man I spoke with had been part of the shelter program for only several weeks, but has been out of work for four years. He was soft spoken, older, and has a college education. One of my last check-ins was a new comer to the shelter. He had never been in a homeless shelter and was understandably nervous and unsure of himself. We helped him get settled in and made him feel as welcome as we could.

The next morning I was on my way home by 7:00-7:30 am. During my drive home I thought about the men I had met. I prayed for them and wept for them. I also thought how proud I am of our church and the people serving in this ministry. I am proud of all the churches of Janesville who are coming together (regardless of denomination) to provide some shelter, hot meals, showers, clothing and toiletries... It is a just a little bit we are offering and doing, but it is one step towards serving those in need in our community.

I am thankful for the church and people I serve. I am blessed to be in ministry with you. I am in awe of your spiritual gifts and I watch with great joy and love in my heart as I see you rise (time and time again) to the needs of the occasion – helping and serving the people of our community.

I am thankful to God for the ways he is changing all our lives.

See you on Sunday my friends,

Patrick

No comments: