Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Thursday, December 8, 2011

An interesting thing happened...

About two weeks ago I had to return a new laptop to HP – it did not work upon arrival. I had received a return authorization from HP and was to ship it via FedEx. While my time on the phone with HP (troubleshooting, on-hold, getting a new laptop ordered...) wasn’t the most enjoyable time I’ve ever had; I did have a wonderful experience with FedEx. I parked at the Plainfield office in Janesville, carried my box into the building and the first thing I noticed was the door opened automatically! At first I looked to see who was coming out, but no one did. The automatic sensors sensed me coming and opened the door for me. How great! I thought. If my arms are totally full, I don’t have to fiddle with the door handle.

As I brought in my box (and pre-printed shipping form) a lady came from the back, greeted me with a warm smile and said (pointing her finger at my printed sheet) 'Hello, I'll need that'. I waited for her to go on telling me what else was needed, but that was it!

So I asked her, 'Is that it?'.

'Yes, that’s all I need.' she said.

'You mean I’m done', I asked?

'Yes, you are done.'

Wow, that’s great I thought. And then I told her how much I appreciated the opening door, the welcoming smile, the quick and easy service. Wouldn’t it be awesome if all business experiences went this smoothly? Then I thought, I wonder if this is what visitors and guests (and even our church members) experience when they come to our church? Are they welcomed? Received with smiles? Helped when they need help? Do they walk away feeling like this was the best experience of my week?

I hope so. Help me to make this so for all those who come into our church. Smile and smile often. Welcome and welcome warmly. Help and help often. Make this be the best experience of anyone’s week!

If you are a visitor to our church (Milton UMC in Milton WI) I'd love to hear your feedback. Did/do you feel welcome? Were you helped? Was this a best experience type feeling?

I am thankful to God for the ways he is changing all our lives.

peace to you,

Patrick

No comments: