Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Behind my garage, close to the vegetable gardens we have carefully cultivated the last several years, grows a plant.  It is a plant many of you would be familiar with.  It is tall.  It is green.  It is sharp and thorny.  At the top of this five foot sentinel is a blossom of the most beautiful purple.  Surrounding this flower is a crown of thorns – closely guarding the jewel from what possible harm, I do not know. 

The plant?  It’s a thistle.  We’re all familiar with those, aren’t we?  Why don’t I pull this weed out by its roots?  Because, the imagery of this flowering blossom surrounded by the crown of thorns reminds me of Jesus on the Cross.  The thistle itself serves reminder that no matter the thorny nature or the name we are called (a weed for heaven’s sake!) all God’s creations are meaningful and beautiful.  I’ve known many thistles in my life.  When more closely observed or more intimately known, that thorny thistle reveals a beautiful blossom.  I’ve been a thistle myself.  I like to think there’s a beautiful flower in all of us. 

Peace to you,

Patrick 

No comments: