Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I was thinking of Father’s Day coming up soon, a day I haven’t been able to celebrate with my dad for quite some time.  He passed away at age 60, in 1995.  Several weeks ago I observed our ‘across the street neighbors’ who were playing in the front yard – I’ve watched their two little children growing up the last 5-6 years.   The older boy now plays basketball, rides his bike or skateboard by himself.  Sometimes he ventures out into the street to get the occasional stray ball – that’s around the age he is.  He’s becoming independent and learning to do things on his own. 

This particular day I watched his dad teach him how to mow the grass.  It was a first time for him and a proud moment for his dad.  His dad taught him how to pull the cord to start the mower.  I watched as he carefully went up and down the yard in nice even rows.  At one point I heard him call out, ‘Dad! Dad!’  Dad came out of the garage and the boy pointed to something in front of the mower. Dad helped him past this point of object. 

It means something when we take time to teach our young.  We are passing down knowledge and experience.  We are solidifying our relationships.  We are being a family.  These are proud moments!  This is especially important for dads and their children (sons or daughters). 

We take time to teach our children these things and this is important.  We want our children to know how to take care of themselves.  More than just survive - how to prosper.  Let us take the same care and consideration in teaching our children about our relationship with Jesus Christ. 

Take time to pray with them (not just for them). Take time to tell them about the stories found in our bibles.  If you don’t know the stories – get a children’s bible and learn them together.  Take time to bring your children to worship on Sunday mornings.  This is especially important because it’s here they will connect with children their own age and learn about the importance of setting time aside each week for worship – prayer, song, fellowship, scripture, message, communion… 

Blessings to you my friends.  My prayers will be with you on Sunday morning. 

No comments: