Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bullied No More

Last night I was invited to speak at a presentation and viewing for a 40 minute video entitled "Bullied: A Student, a School, and a Case That Made History". The presentation was organized by Robert Alexander, a Milton HS graduate and co-chair for the Fair Wisconsin South Central Action Network. In conjunction with Robert, Brian Juchems, program director for Gay Strait Alliance Safe Schools helped coordinate and present.

In the two hour presentation and ensuing discussions we talked about the problems of bullying. Jamie Nabonzy, the central character in the video, was an Ashland WI student and was bullied throughout his middle and high school days for being gay. He was beaten, kicked, groped, urinated on, and his life was threatened.

I remember middle school and high school days well - even though that was some thirty years ago for me. On occasion I was bullied. On occasion I stood by while others were bullied. I think I remember mostly being afraid during those times. As I watched the Jamie Nabonzy video, I remember a feeling of anger at his treatment and wondered that none of the bystanders stepped in to help. Of course, I don't believe I ever stepped in to help someone else who was being bullied back in my day. I seem to remember a feeling of relief that I wasn't the target.

It's now thirty years later and I'm no longer afraid and no longer content to be a bystander. My question is - what do I do now? How can I help be a part of the solution for those who suffer the abuse, mistreatment, ridicule, embarrassment... of being bullied. Bullies target many types of people - not just GLBT. The target can be someone too tall, too short, too fat, too skinny, too nerdy, too .... The target is someone who is perceived different and vulnerable.

Being different is not something to be ashamed of or to try to hide. Nor is being different a reason for being targeted - although it happens. God has made each one of us uniquely different for a reason. We may not understand that reason nor always appreciate it. Yet, Jesus gave to us a commandment that we are to love one another as we do ourselves. In other words, we should treat others as we would like to be treated.

I plan on inviting Robert and Brian to our church for a showing of the video and open discussion as we get into the new year. Perhaps that is my first step towards helping and no longer standing by.

Peace to you my friends,

Patrick

No comments: