Welcome to the LCLL Blog

Welcome to Loving Christ, Loving Life! My name is Patrick Schultz. I serve as pastor for Franksville United Methodist Church in Franksville WI. I've been blogging for a number of years now. In this forum I want to reach out to a new group of people - readers of blogs. My writings are intended to share thoughts and insight with you. Hopefully you will find this of some value.

I invite you to email me with thoughts, correspondence or insight of your own at Pastor@Franksvilleumc.org.

May God's blessing be with you.

Patrick

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pirates of the Wisconsi-bean


















This Sunday morning I cancelled our worship services due to inclement weather - snow, ice, blowing and freezing temps gave cause to question as to whether we should hold services or not. Better sense prevailed when I received call after call (I had made it to the church office myself) from ushers, advent candle lighters and readers, and our Sunday School director saying they were snowed in and were not coming to church.

Typically, I strongly dislike canceling service because it is the one time a week about 150-180 of us come together to worship our Lord, sing & pray together, and hang out. So, with a bit of down-heartedness I placed the notice on our website, contacted the local radio/newspaper station listing cancelations, and changed our church answering machine. I then went back home.

Earlier this week my three and a half year old daughter wanted to play pirates. I had promised we would do that this weekend. So... instead of feeling down, I thought to myself - here's a wonderful opportunity to make hats, eye patches, telescopes and even a sword or two.

Our cedar chest was our ship; Jackson the dog was the shark. Together the three of us arghed, ayed, and matey-ed the afternoon away. In a very real way this was part of our worship of the Lord. God calls us to be in a wonderful, healthy and happy relationship with one another.

I am thankful for the extra time we had together as a family. Usually half my Sunday is consumed with church services. This way I had some morning time with Brenda and Grace. Some present wrapping time while they napped. Some pirate time in the afternoon and evening. And felt very blessed by the love of my family and Christ.

Blessings to you all.

Peace out

Patrick

No comments: